Projects

Nepal early recovery and rehabilitation project in Dhading

This project is an ICCO’s response towards a massive 7.8 magnitude earthquake that has severely hit Nepal on 25th April, 2015. This project is starting from 1st July 2015 and ending on 25th April 2016. This project is a part of bigger program under ACT appeal where, together with ICCO other ACT Nepal members like LWF, DCA, LWR and FCA are implementing projects in earthquake most affected districts for early recovery and rehabilitation with their local partners.

  • Location
    Nepal Dhading
  • Start project
    2015
  • Projectstatus
    Active
  • ID: NL-KVK-56484038-C_005433
Share this page

Background

This project is an ICCO’s response towards a massive 7.8 magnitude earthquake that has severely hit Nepal on 25th April, 2015. This project is starting from 1st July 2015 and ending on 25th April 2016. This project is a part of bigger program under ACT appeal where, together with ICCO other ACT Nepal members like LWF, DCA, LWR and FCA are implementing projects in earthquake most affected districts for early recovery and rehabilitation with their local partners.

ICCO is co-implementing this project with United Mission to Nepal (UMN) in Dhading district, one of the most affected areas. ICCO will be responsible for overall coordination of the programme, including monitoring and reporting of the activities as per ACT reporting formats, whereas UMN will carry out the implementation. ICCO funding for early recovery will contribute towards the already operating larger basket fund of UMN. The reporting to ICCO however will be done on the basis of the bilateral contract.

The overall goal of this project is to recover and improve the income generation of 4396 households who are mostly affected and have the least resilience capacity, in a more resilient and sustainable way. Gender balance, disability inclusion and marginalized groups are major cross cutting issues for this project. The major focus of the project will be on livelihood recovery & early recovery of social-economic infrastructures. The envision project’s outcomes will be; Skills and other resources to engage in more resilient/sustainable Income Generation Activities; restore/improve market access function; Restore production on/off farm + improve enterprise.
Nepal early recovery and rehabilitation project in Dhading

Initial situation

This project is ICCO’s response towards the massive 7.8 magnitude earthquake that severely hit Nepal on 25th April, 2015. This project is a part of bigger program under ACT appeal where, the major focus of the project will be on livelihood recovery & early recovery of social-economic infrastructures. . The mobile based technology Akvo FLOW tool was used to survey 334 households, interview 67 key informants and carry out market survey at 63 market hubs in the affected areas. The needs assessment survey showed that majority of the affected people (80%) are engaged in and would like to continue with on-farm activities while for the rest (20%), opportunities for off-farm income generation were necessary.

Target group

The overall goal of this project is to recover and improve the income generation of 4396 households across three districts – Makwanpur, Sindhupalchowk and Dhading- most affected by the Gorkha earthquake and HHs who have the least resilience capacity to recover their livelihoods, in a more resilient and sustainable way.

Sustainability

ICCO’s support focuses on technical trainings ie. IPM trainings, Post-Harvest trainings etc and financial literacy trainings, restoration of market linkages and agricultural roads, introduction of innovative new technology for off-season vegetable production, restoration of key socio-economic infrastructures etc. As such, the focus of ICCO’s interventions has been towards empowering the communities through technical support and key investments in infrastructures most valuable for recovering their livelihoods. Such infrastructures for eg. Cardamom kilns, Paper steamer factory, Irrigation and Drinking water schemes are all co-financed by the community and owned wholly by them. Farmers benefitting from support such as plastic tunnels, IPM training and Post-harvest training are already reaping the rewards in the form of improved yield/harvest and are planning on expanding their tunnels with their own investment. In this sense, the project interventions will be self-sustaining even after the end of the project.

Goals overview

The overall goal of this project is to recover and improve the income generation of 10,004 households who are mostly affected and have the least resilience capacity, in a more resilient and sustainable way. Gender balance, disability inclusion and marginalized groups are major cross cutting issues for this project.