The “Strengthening African Smallholders (STARS)” is implemented by ICCO to improve the livelihood of Smallholder Farmers (SHF), see also https://www.icco-cooperation.org/en/projects/stars
The three activity areas of STARS are as follows:
- To develop and implement innovative, sector specific agriculture financial products with MFIs for smallholder farmers;
- To strengthen value chains and link smallholder farmers into these chains as well as linking them to financial and extension services
- To broaden the evidence base in rural agricultural finance, value chain development and share lessons learned.
We are recruiting a Junior Program Officer to provide technical assistance to MFI and VCD advisors based in Dakar, Senegal. The Junior Program Officer reports to the Microfinance Advisor and the country lead / VCD Advisor in Senegal.
Location: Dakar - Senegal with regular multi-day travel in country
Reporting relationships: The Junior Program Officer reports to the Microfinance Advisor and the country lead / VCD Advisor in Senegal.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to the development of access to finance
- Contribute to technical support of Producer Organizations (PO) and monitor progress of PO
- Contribute to gender aspects in the STARS program.
- Contribute to develop and manage activities of partners / with partners in general
- Contribute and participate in planning, implementing and monitoring the activities using a Market Systems Development approach (M4P)
- Support VCD advisor and Microfinance advisor in managing program partners
- Support in providing quarterly information on partner progress for reporting purpose,
- execute other program activities when needed
Key result areas
- Program implementation (support)
- Reports on field visit, workshops, other
- Microfinance progress performance update
- Handle the collection of reports and some level of analysis
- POs progress/performance update
- Success stories and case studies
- Other documents as needed
- University degree in rural development, agribusiness, agriculture economics, business administration or other related subject with good academic results
- Have got first class honours degree
- Experience with rural areas and understanding of the ability and constraints of rural smallholder farmers, Producer Organisations (POs), Banking and finance or international NGOs.
- Good understanding of agribusiness in Senegal,
- Committed to work in agriculture sector in Senegal especially rice and maize value chains and agriculture financing is added advantage
- ICT: knowledge of google drive and G-suite i.e. docs, sheets and slides or MS Office, knowledge on E-mail
- Fluent in French and working knowledge of English .
- Willingness to learn
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Self-motivated, proactive and result driven;
- Reliable and dependable personality
- High standard of integrity and morale
Personal development aspects for JPO
The nature of a Junior Officer position is a) to contribute and b) to learn and to acquire
professional skills. To achieve b), a specific personal development and training plan will be agreed in collaboration with regional HR and the country team. It will be updated every year and includes challenging tasks to be achieved and ample support and coaching. The development plan consists of both technical skills and personality / behavioural skills. After a period of three years, the junior should become a medior (Program Officer).
Terms of employment
- Full time (40 hours per week),
- 3 month probation period,
- Contract till end 2020
- Local contract
- Terms of employment are stipulated in the contract, the regional office HR manual applies.
How to apply?
Interested candidates should send a CV (not more than 3 pages) and an expression of
interest to email@example.com. Only email applications with less than 2MB will be considered. Please indicate “ Senegal - Junior Program Officer Position” in the subject of your application email. You can apply in French or in English. Closing date is 28 May 2019.
Please note that only those selected for interviews will be contacted. If you are not
contacted within 4 weeks consider it as unsuccessful. We apologize that we cannot provide a response to all applicants. Any form of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification.