Medior Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (PMEL) Advisor – Utrecht
For the department Strategy and Program Support (SPS) at the global office we are looking for a: Medior Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (PMEL) Advisor in Utrecht
ICCO Cooperation, a global, non-governmental organization, seeks motivated colleagues who support our mission to end poverty and injustice in developing countries. Are you also committed to create a world where people can live in dignity and secured livelihoods? In cooperation with a global team of professionals? Then we are looking for you
From a coherent theory of change ICCO Cooperation designs, manages and implements programs for inclusive development (SDG 17) of sustainable agricultural systems to foster food and nutrition security of smallholder farmers and their families (SDG2); economic empowerment of smallholder farmers and SMEs (SDG 8) as well as more resilient and disaster-prepared communities (SDG 6 and 11). Our focus areas are blending finance, climate resilient food systems, new technologies and youth entrepreneurship (SDGs 10 and 12). We offer brokering services for public organisations and private companies.
Our organization consists of a Global Office in the Netherlands (Utrecht) and 5 Regional Offices and numerous associated country offices in Africa, Asia and Latin America. ICCO Cooperation has approximately 400 employees worldwide and a turnover of 45M€ in 2018.
For the department Strategy and Program Support (SPS) at the global office we are
looking for a:
MEDIOR PLANNING, MONITORING, EVALUATION & LEARNING (PMEL) ADVISOR
(1 FTE) BASED IN UTRECHT
The SPS department consists of several functional units that have responsibilities in terms of program and partnership management, business development, resource mobilization, communication, monitoring & evaluation and learning. The department has an advisory and supporting role to many programs that are being implemented globally through our Regional Offices. Besides, the department has an account management role, a knowledge development role and a strategic advisory role towards management and the Executive Board.
In this department the Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (PMEL) unit is responsible for strengthening monitoring and evaluation quality and the role that data play in the strategic positioning of the organization and enhancing the (PMEL) capacity of colleagues globally. As PMEL advisor, you are part of the SPS department in Utrecht and more specific, part of the PMEL unit.
About the position
Being part of the PMEL unit you contribute to ICCO becoming a mature data-informed and data-literate organization. Your primary responsibility lies in steering the whole transition process of the organization to embed data use in program management and organizational steering and create sound evidence for accountability and learning.
You are responsible for capacity strengthening of different parts of the organization (from project staff to management, communications staff and business developers) and support infrastructure development that facilitates robust and responsible data life cycle management. You are ‘the primus inter pares’ of a small data team composed of colleagues all over the world that drives the organization’s data strategy. You are responsible for the M&E of ICCO’s geodata programs. You help to build ICCO’s track record for strategizing and learning purposes and make it insightful in a visually appealing and convincing way. Besides, you work on optimising our PMEL toolbox (identification of relevant new tools/methods & development of guidelines for harmonised use of data).
You will do that as part of a team, and you are flexible in working with different cultures, time zones and tight deadlines. The position requires occasional travel to our regional offices.
Qualifications needed for the position
- A Master’s or its equivalent in an International Development oriented study or any other discipline that is relevant to the operations of the SPS department.
- 5 years or more of relevant professional work experience in PMEL advisory work; experienced in learning and capacity strengthening in an international development cooperation context. And knowledge of change processes and the themes c.q. development issues and policies of countries where ICCO has its programs. A strong affinity in working with quantitative and qualitative data. Ability to identify relevant ICT/data science developments.
- Profound hands-on experience with planning and implementing (mobile) of data collection, processing, analysis, use and feed-back to programs.
- A proven track record in advisory and training/coaching skills, especially in data strategy and literacy and use of data.
- Is a solid discussion partner and ambassador for the data strategy and data literacy, both internal and external towards e.g government and political actors, donors, private sector partners and corporate partnerships with a good sense of applicability in practice.
- An entrepreneurial attitude to discover needs for steering information, and relates this to what already exists in the organization and what has to be developed. For the latter you have the ability to communicate with the IT department and the ability to communicate data to various target audiences.
- Experience in working with and guiding a small team
- Experience using: Excel, Google sheets, and data analysis software. Experience with GIS, R or Python for data management and visualization tools are considered an advantage.
- Working experience in countries where ICCO operates is considered an asset.
- Has excellent language skills in English. Ability to speak Dutch, French or Spanish is a pre.
- Affinity with the Christian Ecumenical roots of ICCO Cooperation.
- Ability to work independently and also within a team; demonstrated mature sense of judgment.
- Ability to work and cooperate with people from diverse cultural and technical backgrounds.
- Pragmatic and solution oriented.
What we offer
We offer a challenging position in a working area that is rapidly and constantly changing and considered of strategic importance for ICCO cooperation. The position is graded in salary scale 10 of the ICCO GO Terms of Employment, with a gross salary till max € 4.235,15 per month, excl. 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% end of year allowance, based on a 36-hour work week. You will be offered a fixed term contract for the first year with the possibility to extend. You will travel occasionally to our Regional or local offices. A medical check will be part of the procedure and references will be checked.
For more information about the job you please contact Kees de Ruiter, Head of Strategy and Program Support, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply
Please send your motivation letter and CV in English (in 1 PFD file if possible) to
email@example.com, before 11 December 2019. Please mention the vacancy title and number 2019-008 in the subject title.